Sunday, May 20, 2007

FO's and Finds

Quilting...not as easy as it looks. After rolling and tugging and marking all day on Thursday, I decided to let the quilt sit for a few days and turn my attention to other things. I purchased Knitting Without Tears and No Sheep for You and thoroughly enjoyed both. Elizabeth Zimmerman is like a crazy, wise, knitting fairy godmother, and Amy Singer totally made me want to knit with non-wool yarn. I picked up some cheapo Peaches n' Cream cotton, opened my Vogue Stitchionary and proceeded to make a daisy chain dishcloth. Remembering EZ's advice about knitting LOOSELY, I overcame my fear of cotton yarn and lace in one fell swoop. (I have a feeling that my kitchen sink is going to be extra fancy from now on.) As a matter of fact, I even ordered the pattern for Rusted Root and am going to knit it in either the Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece or maybe the Knitpicks Cotlin. I also have about a million tiny scraps of fabric left over from my quilt that are too beautiful to let go to waste. I now understand why you can't just make one quilt. Fabric is a terrible obsession that can threaten to overtake your entire house. Heads-up everyone-get ready for a handcrafted x-mas. I have made a small inroad into my stash, however, with this headband.
I also acquired another piece of furniture. Erin and I found this beaut at a very sad flea-market on the North Side. I have a feeling that unless I suddenly become a genius at upholstery, this $2 dollar find will probably set me back another hunnert or two at the upholsterers. Such is life.